What is remarketing and how does it work?

Chances are slim that someone is directly interested in your service or product. But that interest may change in the future. For that reason, it is important to stay on the radar of clients until the time comes to do business. Many companies have a fair number of visitors per month to their websites. But unfortunately, this number of visitor does not lead to the desired conversions. The average conversion rate has been somewhere around 3% for years. This means that this percentage of visitors proceed directly to purchase a service or product on their first visit to your website. Remarketing allows you to stay on the radar of the remaining 97% of visitors. Want to learn more about remarketing and how it works? You can read about that and more in this article!

What is remarketing anyway?

Another name for remarketing is regtargeting. It is a form of online marketing that shows ads to consumers based on online search behavior. Chances are it has happened to you, too, at one time or another. In your search for a new bag for your laptop, you’ll end up in bol.com’s web shop. You just can’t seem to make up your mind, so you decide to postpone the choice for a while. Then you come across the laptop bag every time you see an online ad on social media or Google. In this way, they try to entice you to make the purchase after all. Recognizable? That’s what remarketing is.

How does remarketing work?

Now that you know what remarketing is, you naturally want to know how it works. Therefore, we are going to explain the operation to you in brief. It is good to know that you can use it through various online channels. The most well-known way is to use remarketing through social media and Google. In general, people use Google Ads remarketing the most. In the first step, the marketer places a so-called remarketing pixel on each page of the website. This pixel then places a (legal) cookie in the visitor’s browser. This way, your provider knows to whom the ad should be shown. When remarketing, however, it is very important that you choose to advertise in a targeted way. For example, you don’t want to show an ad of the previously named laptop bag when someone has already bought it.

Some advantages

What are the benefits of remarketing? As indicated earlier, remarketing is a way to stay on the radar of potential customers to do business when the time comes. Another advantage is that you can personalize the ads (if properly set up) based on the visitor’s previous search behavior. As an example, someone who bought a new laptop. To take those with you to work, of course, a bag is handy. That way, as a business, you can use a new ad to entice visitors to make a new purchase. The final benefit of remarketing is that it will increase the conversion rate of your website.

Not just for web shops

People often think remarketing is only suitable for web shops. Our answer to that is certainly not the case. Companies in the B2B market are also increasingly using remarketing. In particular, they use it to stay on the radar of potential customers. Want to learn more about remarketing and how to use it for your shop or business? Then contact us for a free consultation. Tell us more about your business so we can put you on the radar of clients.